Today all around the world, thousands of people will be wearing purple, over-sharing, selling cakes, hashtagging and doing what they can to raise awareness of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
This World IBD Day, I thought I would make my blogging come back and talk about why I disappeared from the blogosphere, and talk about the theme this year- Live Well with IBD.
I’ll admit, for the last month or so, I haven’t lived particularly well. I have been flaring up, struggling with my meds, feeling particularly low and been in and out of hospital and doctor’s waiting rooms.
I was tired and weak, and there wasn’t much in my life worth sharing on the Internet- so melodramatic, right?
I spent three weeks housebound, and even when I was at my poorliest, there were a couple of things I did to ensure I was (subtle link to theme…) living well and happy!
- To begin with, Netflix. I started to run out of chick-flicks and sitcoms, so made a temporary move to Amazon Prime. Other things on my watch-list were Tipping Point (nothing like a quiz show to keep your brain going) and Masterchef (a strange self-torture involved in watching lovely food that wouldn’t fit in, or be tolerated by, your stomach.
- I also did a lot of reading. I alternated between easy-to-read young adult novels, and slightly more intense non-fiction. Also, articles on BuzzFeed and The Pool.
- Where possible, I made people visit me! I needed human interaction to ensure that I didn’t go mad, but I wasn’t necessarily capable of trips out and about, so I had everyone come to me.
- Probably the most important thing I could talk about: pyjamas. After a crappy day in hospital, I stopped off on the way home, and bought myself the snazziest pyjamas ever, and I have never been happier.
- Birthday cake had to be on this list. I turned 19 while I was ill, and birthday cake in small doses made me feel better (I’m not a doctor, clearly).
I hope you’ve all had a lovely, and healthy, IBD day! What do you do to ensure you live well?
Till next time,