Yesterday was my Mum’s birthday, so I decided to bake a cake- a chocolate loaf covered in drizzled chocolate.
Here’s the recipe…
You will need:
- A loaf tin (900g/2lb)
- 175g softened, unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 140g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100ml milk
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g plain chocolate (small chunks or drops)
- A few extra chunks of white and milk chocolate for decorating
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3, or 160C/140C fan, and grease your tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar (ideally with an electric whisk- I didn’t use one and this took ages) until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and cocoa until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then scrape into the tin.
- Bake for 50 mins until golden and risen. (To double check, a skewer poked in the centre will come out clean.)
- Take the cake out of the tin, once cooled and leave it on a wire rack, over some kitchen paper.
- Melt the chocolate, over hot water or I discovered the microwave is much quicker. Use a spoon, and drizzle the melted chocolate over the cake.
- Once the chocolate has set, slice and serve! It should make 8-10 slices, or just eat it all at once… Hmm…
If you make this, or you have any other recipes you love, send me pictures and recommendations!
Till next time… Izzy x